View Single Post
Old 12-28-2019, 06:57 AM
Bill par.sons

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I have very mixed thoughts on this set. It was the first Topps set I completed, and the design is a classic. Some of the poses are great, and the amount of hall of famers is impressive. On the other hand, the photograph quality is far below 1953 Bowman, and Topps clearly decided to try and cut costs after killing off Bowman and becoming the only game in town. Probably my favorite of their smaller physical size sets though and very fun set to put together, as the SP series really is not that tough. The Brooks Robinson card is harder to fill in than Mantle in low-mid grade sets, no matter what the price guides say. Frank Robinson's rookie still feels like a bargain to me. The Schoendienst pose is my favorite in the set.

If you are not condition conscious, pm me your address and I will send you a few of my dupes (Good - VG range) free.
Put this set together a couple of years ago. I agree with the Brooks Robinson comment. Seems to command a premium more than book. The Richardson card too. The part I like most about the set was the move to take new photos of every player. In 55 and 56 the photos can be duplicates of prior year shots and that's a bit of a turn off for me. Similar thing happened in 66/68 and 67/69 I think. I find that the challenge with the 57 set is the register of the cards. I took me a while to find a mays and mantle that was clear. Same with card 407. and several commons.