View Single Post
Old 04-16-2023, 09:07 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtodd View Post
Bob, thanks for the update! I was curious how they would do and was also very happy with the turnout at Strongsville today as a buyer/observer. I agree, lots of good conversations, trading and friendly negotiating. More younger people than expected. A good amount of buying and selling it seemed.

Bob, you aren't going to believe this, but if you were the Silks guy, you taught me about them today too, and showed me your awesome S74 Cobb (Helmar right?). I was in the yellow shirt. You encouraged me to buy a silk from the Atlanta dealer. Unfortunately, I think you talked the silks up too much to him also, because I offered to buy that SGC6 Tinker at the marked price, and he no longer wanted to sell it. Haha! Thanks anyways for the advice - it was good to meet you.
Yeah, that was me! What the heck, I'll be damned, small world, huh?!?! LOL What I don't get though is why would Alex, that was the guy from Atlanta's name, not sell you that S74 silk of Tinker? I'm assuming he is some kind of dealer himself, but just traveled to the Strongsville show as a buyer/collector bringing stuff to trade/barter with, and then totally lucked out and was able to grab a table at the last minute when SGC had to cancel. He had his stuff priced, and they weren't super bargain prices either. But he was willing to deal on them for sure. Did you see the notebook, with Christy Mathewson on the cover, that he had a $250 price on? I first walked up when he was talking about and showing it to someone else. And then after that other guy left, I commented on how that was a cool item, and that I had never seen that particular type of notebook cover before. He didn't blink an eye and offered me a 20% discount on it later on, after we had been talking about a bunch of other stuff for a while. So he was definitely looking to sell things. I hope it wasn't my fault, as we were talking at one point about how underappreciated and undervalued we both felt the S74 silks are. I had mentioned how if PSA were to ever start grading them that I believe the prices for these silks would jump, just like what seemed to happen with PSA starting to recently grade the M101-2 Sporting News Supplements. Now I'm wondering if he started to think about that some more in talking to you about the Tinker silk. I'll bet he did, and figured if he sold it now, he'd regret it later. If that is what ended up happening, I am so sorry, and had no idea I could have changed his mind like that. LOL Go figure! But he did have some reeaallllyyy nice stuff, including those S74-1 and S74-2 silks in his cases! And my God, did you see all the T206 red Cobb portrait cards he had?