View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 10:06 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
I really like that 1972 Set. I wonder what would make the guy break up his set. I remember talking one night with Logan and checking out some of the more desired Nascar sets and that guy had a killer set.

I haven't gotten into the older boxing or Panini. Just the 1986 and 1988. Admittedly the reason I was asking was hoping to find a hidden treasure in my collection! I love taking something that is worthless to me and making it have value. I did see a PSA 9 of Senna sold for $125 so spending $7 bucks to see what it would grade was worth it. Not sure if my copy will garner that but certainly a good sign.

Thanks for the response.
No problem. I like the 1972 set myself. It is not as overproduced as the late 1980s MAXX sets. None of the cards are common in the '72 STP set, although some of the lesser drivers are fairly easy to find. One of the great mysteries of the '72 STP set is why there is not a David Pearson card in the set. Pearson was series champion in 1966, 1968, and 1969 and seemingly would have been an obvious choice for inclusion. In addition, the set does not include 1970 NASCAR champion Bobby Isaac.

I didn't have time earlier to expand on Senna. I know you said you weren't familiar with him. Senna is always in the conversation whenever the topic of greatest Formula One driver of all-time comes up. He is frequently ranked first on such lists and almost never outside the top three. The best way for me to describe the impact of Ayrton Senna is by saying that his death was exactly as shocking for Europeans, South Americans and international race fans as Dale Earnhardt's death was for race fans in this country. Outside North America, Formula One is king when it comes to racing.

http://f1greatestdrivers.autosport.com/?driver=1

ESPN Classic occasionally shows the 2010 British documentary titled simply "Senna." It is a fascinating film that delves into his intense rivalry/hatred for French driver Alain Prost, Senna's near-mythic stature in his native Brazil, Senna's aggressive style that won him few friends on the track and the shock of his 1994 death. Senna was 34 years old when he was killed after being hit in the head by a piece of suspension at Imola (Italy). His 41 career Formula One wins currently rank fifth all-time. He was the second winningest driver in F1 history at the time of his death (behind only Prost).

The link above describes Senna's relationship with Prost as "mutual contempt," and is an accurate characterization. Following Senna's death, Prost agreed to take a seat on the board of the charitable foundation founded by Senna shortly before his death. The foundation largely tries to improve educational opportunities in Senna's native Brazil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senna_(film)

Little-known Austrian driver Roland Ratzenberger had died in a practice crash just one day before Senna's fatal accident. The "Senna" film shows Senna watching a replay of Ratzenberger's crash and wincing when he saw the impact. Senna expected to win the race the following day, and was leading the race at the time of his fatal crash. After Senna's death, it was revealed that he was carrying an Austrian flag with him in the cockpit that he planned to unfurl as a tribute to Ratzenberger after the race. Following the tragic weekend at Imola, F1 then went 20 years before losing another driver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ayrton_Senna

Last edited by Bored5000; 05-12-2017 at 10:46 PM.