View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default Topps Living set price manipulation

I apologize to all who are offended by post for modern cards but I think part of reason we are all here is to look after each other and our hobby. In mid March Topps announced a new internet only set called Topps Living 3 cards each week with a mix of players and only one of each player unless they changed teams. The idea was no year the set would go on for many years. They were sold $15 for 3 cards each week. You could also buy bulk cards with the price reduced the more you bought. A small group of dealers bought hundreds of each card. Which is fine the same thing happened with Topps Now. But Topps now had much smaller print runs than living.
But about two weeks ago the prices started rising very quickly for some of the cards. I do not think many of the sales were legit. Example I bought some Altuve's on Saturday for $8. on Monday there is a sale for $199 for one card. From a dealer who sold 199 of them and has plenty more. Clearly not a real sale but it bumped the price up fast. Anyway up to you how you take this. But be careful.
Jonathan Sterling