View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Default To crack or not to crack...that is the question.

Posted By: Joann

Doug,

I used to crack out almost all of my graded cards. I don't have a whole lot of each type, so I liked having an E95 and a CJ in toploaders so the thin paper and fragile nature of these issues is easy to feel directly. I just like having them in toploaders.

I don't do it as much anymore, but not for any particular reason - lack of time is probably as germane as anything. So I'd definitely not worry about cracking something out if you like it better presented, displayed and stored a different way. If I have a holder that is all scratched up, I crack it out b/c I'm probably not sending it in for regrade anyways.

The only time I won't crack a card out is if I can see pretty clearly that the grade it got is a stretch for the card, and there is a decent amount of money involved. If I think a card will never see that grade again, it stays in the holder.

I don't even send something like that in for regrade. I'm almost positive that SGC and PSA both reserve the right to change the grade during the reholder process if they see that the grade it had was erroneously given.

So ... no, I don't think you did anything in the least bit wrong or stupid or whatever. I can't see keeping a $2500 card in a scratched up $5 holder.

Joann