View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 07:32 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And how would all these buyers know this? Sounds like rumor mill stuff to me.
It's pretty much now accepted within the community that the myth of Star Company reprinting the Jordan from the original plates is just that, a myth. The original print run was between 3,000 and 8,000 copies. BGS, the only top TPG that will grade or authenticate the issue, had graded a grand total of 462 copies. PSA won't grade the issue because they stated once upon a time that a reprint from the original plates would be indistinguishable from the original. I feel safe to assume that if they were printed in mass at a later date, exceptionally expensive, indistinguishable, and only graded by Beckett - the population listed would be bit more only 20%-30% of the original printing.

The only reason PSA is not currently grading the card is that they haven't for so long. They also bow to pressure of collectors fairly often. I've seen them grade a Nolan Ryan newspaper cutout for a collector. When they then added it to the registry collectors went nuts because it was some random cutout from a random newspaper in the mid-70's. Within a month it was taken off the registry, no longer graded, and wiped from the population reports. The calls for this card to be graded are getting constantly louder and this combined with the fact it's relatively easy to spot a fake lead many to believe it will be soon.

Last edited by sbfinley; 04-21-2016 at 07:48 PM.