View Single Post
Old 10-02-2016, 11:13 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
When I read "Change"'on the label I immediately thought of my time in the print media/advertising biz. This could be a printer's note to alter the existing version in the manufacturing process.
That was my thought as well. And that would be entirely expected on a file copy, especially before "sell by" dates. The box version identified by the change could be easily linked to manufacturing dates in a companies files.

The holes being printed on pretty much complicates that theory.

Possibly made later as Steve is thinking. The question would be how much later and why? A few possible guesses, but just guesses.
For a display at the worlds fair or another major trade show? The 1939 fair got extended into 1940, so it's a possibility. And Of course they'd want to show off the current product and promotion. But at the time they could have simply taken some boxes off the packing line and should have retained the original art if they needed to reprint any. A later fair?

An internal company museum? Maybe, and an archivist might have insisted on a reprint from a file copy rather than display an original file copy. I can see that after a few years the company or printer might have discarded the original art. (Something this nice I can also imagine being taken home instead of being thrown away. Unless it was purged in a WWII paper drive. )

I've no idea how they did things then, but if the box designs were done by a third party like a designer for the box company or an ad agency, then the replica might be theirs.

Printed on holes seem more of a lithography thing, and the boxes probably weren't lithographed. I'm pretty sure the 1950's boxes weren't. If that's the case, the replica box would have been fairly expensive at almost any time before the current digital to plate proceses.

All of which makes it much cooler in my mind than a file copy. File copies are cool, but are usually just an ordinary production item, often damaged by the filing. Stuff produced especially as a display and possibly a costly one at that are pretty special.

Steve B