View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 09:41 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

First, in my opinion he didn't have a position - that's why he was a DH. That's a guy with a bat who is a liability in the field. He had a spot in the lineup not on the field. At the time they named the award Frank Thomas, Paul Molitor and Harold Baines had done more and that's not even talking about David Ortiz.
Now, for someone who is inducted into the HOF and had an award named after them at DH you should have done something pretty special. Edgar had 2200 hits and 300 hr. That is absolutely pedestrian. He had no extras - no WS, no MVP, no great accomplishment or moment that defined him and he was never close to being the best player on his team. If he had played the field we wouldn't even be talking about him in the hall.
I don't know how voters can elect Edgar before they put in Jeff Kent, Fred McGriff, Omar Vizquel and Lou Whitaker among others. It was irresponsible of MLB to name the award after him and it seemed like they rushed to do so and it seemed like that made it an obligation to put him in the hall. They should never name an award after someone who isn't already in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
You said Edgar doesn't belong. If he doesn't belong, why did MLB name an award after him? If there were better players at his position, why did they choose him?

In my opinion it was because there hasn't been a player better than him at his position.