View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post
I cracked open a 1994 collector's choice set and it has
all the possible white letters. This is all the Future Foundations
and all the Up Close & Personals. I know there are some more
but not worth mentioning I guess...

Anyway, what is the frequency that this happens compared to a regular set?

The 1994 Upper Deck Collector’s Choice product has been a fun set to collect. The set has a Jeter error, Arod Rookie error and Jordan errors cards on top of the limited silver and gold parallels of the base cards. I got into them a few years back. I’ve opened about 15-20 factory sets and purchased some of the different errors.I bought the factory sets because I thought that was the best shot at getting some of the gold cards. The best gold card I’ve pulled was a Griffey Jr. Up Close and Petsonal card. Most of the other gold cards were commons. The majority of the sets I’ve opened have also had some pretty serious issues with the cards being clumped together.

There is some info out there on the different errors that are available within the set if you dig a little. The tan border cards(the Jordan pictured) are exclusive to the factory sets I believe. In my experience the white letter version of the base Arod card comes along with the factory sets that also contained the up close and personal cards with the tan borders. I think 4 or 5 of the sets I’ve opened had the white letter Arod and tan borders cards. With the small sample size I’m not sure that’s close to the true percent of factory sets that come that way, but that’s what I’ve seen.

Also, in my experience the Jeter base cards all come in with a white letter D on the back. I don’t think the there is a grey version of the D on the back of the Jeter unless it’s a silver signature card. I’m not sure where the Jeter white letter base card designation came from other than the Arod has a white version and a grey version and the confusion is based on this.

The silver signature White letter variations seem to be pretty rare. I’m not sure if they are more rare than the gold versions but they seem to have a similar scarcity and may be Arod’s rarest rookie and Jeter’s rarest 2nd year card. On top of that there is a Jordan silver signature card with a black border error.