View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yes, Topps has or had a smaller press usually used for making proofs. The proof sheet I have is much smaller than a regular sheet.

The 132 card sheets are actually half of what actually comes off the press. I've seen a complete 264 card double sheet. Pretty impressive.

A couple other odd sheets come to mind.
The K-Mart sheet from 82 that had the actual cards arranged in diagonal lines and "cards" with only portions of the design in between. 88 cards on a 132 card sheet. Which is especially odd since another 44 cards would fit. Also odd is that I've never seen one of the spaceholders on its own.

And I think 84? The year they offered a deal where you could send in wrappers and I think $1 and get ten cards of your choice. Meant to help people complete the set it ended up with loads of requests for star cards. (Surprise? Nah!) So Topps made up sheets with multiples of the most popular cards in groups of three or four. Sometimes an uncut strip of three turns up. I saw one complete sheet before it got cut up but couldn't afford it. I think it would have been around $500 back in 84-5.

Steve B