View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 07:43 PM
S Vincent

Default Kenesaw Landis letter....too good to be true?

By the end of this, I'm sure I'll look like an idiot, but here it goes.

Was on eBay last night and saw a new listing for a Kenesaw Landis signed letter. I have done enough research on his autograph and the mediums they are found on that I at least had some prior background knowledge. That said, I never buy anything like this without first coming here to get opinions. I trust you guys more than me.

There was one problem. The price was so absurdly good that I didn't feel I had time to come here and get opinions without possibly losing out on it. The Catch-22, of course, is that what is too good to be true almost always is.

Yet, this autographed letter looks just like his authentic ones and my instinct was telling me it was real despite the price. Some of his letters have been secretarial signed, but according to Ron Keurajian's book, they are really easy to spot.

I also did a quick study on the place it was coming from -- Caliban Books, a book store near Pittsburgh -- and it seems to have a really solid reputation. But its reputation is mostly in books.

There is so much impressive knowledge on here that I want to get your opinion. If you don't like it or have concerns, I won't be offended. And trust me, I would be really suspicious as well based on the $57 price tag. Yeah, $57. The content of this letter isn't impressive and has nothing to do with baseball, but $57 is still way too cheap.

If you guys don't like it, I could still return it. But I've decided I won't and instead would use it as a reminder to never buy anything like this without asking your opinions first.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Landis-Kenes...72.m2749.l2649