View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
Are you trying to recreate the 1929 season to go along with that contract? If so, you know Redding played primarily for the Brooklyn Royal Giants that year. The BRG's were based out of NYC and did not do the crazy amount of traveling team suchs such as the KC Monarchs or Homestead Grays did, since they had tons of great competition just in NY, NJ and PA. Because of this it may be easier to get a good grasp of what their schedule was like since you don't have to check hundreds of small newspapers in dozens of states.

It'll still be like chasing needles in a haystack, but that's the fun part!
I hadn't started with a specific plan, but that seems like it could be fun (although 1929 is after his prime, so depending on what I find I may end up looking back to earlier in his career but it does give things a good focus.)

One interesting thing I found, in the Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Leagues it lists a Sam Redding who played in 1929 who was a brother of Dick Redding and played the Outfield, but in the papers from 1929 I'm reading about a Sam Redding who was the son of Dick Redding, and was a pitcher.