View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbc917 View Post
newspapers.com has the Pittsburgh Courier and many local papers to help you out. Check your local library to see if they have ProQuest. This has the Chicago Defender which will add to your first account stories.
If you are a SABR member then you get access to Paper of Records which leads you the the Baltimore Afro-American papers.
GenealogyBank.com is also a good source for newspapers. I have found Chester, Pennsylvania and Monessen, Pa. to be excellent sources for barnstorming game boxscores.
Thanks! I've started with newspapers.com and it's definitely given me quite a bit to work with. (At the moment the detail that has caught my attention is the fact that a Sam Redding is described as either Dick Redding's brother, or young son. Not sure if there were 2 Sam Redding's on the team (the son is described as a pitcher and the description of the brother is as an outfielder, but it just seems hard to believe there were 2 players with the same name) but for each I only have 1 newspaper as a source, so still working on it.

Will have to check GenealogyBank and really appreciate the mention of specific papers that are helpful for box scores!