View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default . 1949 LEAF set re-visited....show us your cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Sorry to bump on old thread but this caught my eye as I was rabbit holing something. How does a card get this rounded of corners and not have creases? Pretty nice centering too.

Great thread, btw.

Hi Leon..... " How does a card get this rounded of corners and not have creases? "

Not unusual. When we were not flipping these LEAF's in 1949, we were "scaling" them (from a distance of about 6 feet, or so) towards the front stoop of our homes.
The guy whose card was the closest to the 1st step of the stoop won all the cards piled upon the pavement. If you should get a "leaner", you won twice the number
cards piled upon the pavement. And, if someone knocked down your leaner with his toss, he tripled the win. Typically, anywhere from 2 to 6 guys would participate
in this game. It was a very popular sport among us 10 year old kids in the late 1940's to early 1950's.
So these thick cardboard LEAF cards did not easily crease, but their corners sure became quite worn. Here are 4 examples from my original (70 year-old) collection.
Note, no creases but quite worn corners. I have many more of these "rounded -cornered" cards. However, they are hidden away in my "mysterious archives", which
I cannot find.

TED Z

T206 Reference