View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 02:21 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Whenever I get a chance to purchase an Olympic autograph album at a fair price I will go for it. I have been fortunate enough to acquire 7 or 8 from the 1932 Olympics, including one that belonged to a New Zealand athlete. Last week I was able to get another one. The book belonged to a U.S. track athlete. Included with the book were a postcard he wrote and sent, a 3 page letter he sent from the village, a personal calling card and a business card from his future employer. I was a bit blind on the particular album. The images shown in the listing were for average (of those games) athletes, but I took a leap of faith with a high bid and got it for less than that. Being that those games were held in Los Angeles there were a lot of movie types that attended. None of the prior albums had signatures of anyone other than athletes and coaches, but this one changed all of that. As I was flipping through the pages I was quite surprised to find these.

1 Cecil B deMille and Frederic March. The last signature on the page is Mike Ryan who won the 1912 Boston Marathon and competed in the 1908 and 1912 Olympics.

2. Full page signed by Jimmy Durante

3 Jack Oakie -actor from 1920's to 1960's, Cary Grant and Will Rogers. I am not sure who Ethel Murdock is.

Also signed by actress Elissa Landi on another page.

4. Calling card signed by Jack Dempsey and business card signed by Pat O'Brien who was the title character in 'Knute Rockne, All American'

The book also includes three athletes who died in WWII and I will be adding them to the old thread I started about war casualties.

It was also signed by minor actress
Attached Images
File Type: jpg album-1.jpg (44.1 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg album-2.jpg (35.4 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg album-3.jpg (31.4 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg dempsey-o'brien.jpg (22.9 KB, 187 views)

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 12-23-2018 at 02:24 AM.