View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 10:06 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Default Any vintage Japan experts to help ID these 1931 signatures

I picked up a number of 1931 US Tour of Japan pictures and while the majority are signed by US players, a few are signed by Japanese players and personnel.

In a few cases, a name was identified, though a couple of signatures were not. I'd appreciate any help:

Picture 1: Signed by 4 people, 1 in Japanese. Label says, "Ito, Grove, O'Doul". I believe Ito is the one in Japanese and would love to know more about who he was. I struck out trying to find his name online and he's not mentioned in the book I have about the 1934 tour. I also would love to know who the 2nd signature is. He signed on a couple of these, but none are noted on the flip. Looks something like P. Hakumo" but not sure...

Picture 2: Signed by 3 people. Flip lists Grove and Matsumoto. Signature on the right looks like the signature in picture 1 that was not noted. I am pretty sure Matsumoto is Takizo Matsumoto who passed away in 1958 and was elected to the Japanese HOF in 2016.

Picture 3: Signed by 2 people. Flip lists T. Oshita and Herb Hunter. Haven't been able to find any info on Oshita

Picture 4: Signed by 1 person. Hisashi Koshimoto is listed on the flip. Died in 1935 and member of Japanese HOF.

Picture 5: Signed by 2 people. Atsushi Kono listed on flip. Other autograph matches the signature in earlier photos that is unidentified. Kono passed away in 1946 and is a member of the Japanese HOF.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0006.jpg (74.5 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg scan0007.jpg (77.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg scan0008.jpg (77.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg scan0005.jpg (71.4 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg scan0015.jpg (77.3 KB, 162 views)