Thread: Adrian Beltre
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 03:58 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Beltre's ranking among third basemen is the key, I believe.

He has been an excellent defender at an important defensive position for years.

Was he, at any time, one of the top players?...no. Was he one of the very best third basemen during his time?...yes.

I still remember Hank Aaron saying that one Mike McQueen would someday be a great pitcher.

While that kind of analysis gives me great pause to take seriously any players' analysis of another player if I have not heard it from multiply sources, Cal Ripken, Jr. stated a few years ago that Beltre was the best defensive third baseman ever.

While I don't believe he is even the very best playing today, he has ranked with the elite at his position for the larger part of his career.

Whether or not he reaches 500 HRs won't keep him out, 3000 hits will get him in...but, he may be the next Biggio, meaning he may not get in on the first ballot.

A good player to compare him to would be Chipper Jones, who everyone seems to assume will be a first ballot inductee, though he reached neither 500 HRs nor 3000 hits.

Beltre leads in WAR 86.8 to 85.0 ; Chipper leads in Offensive WAR (which voters prefer to concentrate on) 87.4 to 63.9; Beltre is 13th ALL-TIME at any position in Defensive WAR with 27.1 while I cannot seem to locate Chipper's DWAR as it appears to be lower than the very long list of leaders on BBR.
If you are looking at leader lists you will never find Chipper Jones' dWAR. It is a -1.6.