View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Default Introducing myself

Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I just fount Net54 about a week ago and it has taken me that long to read every post in this thread! There is some cool stuff in here! A quick about me: Collected vintage cards as a kid, one at a time. Sold them all to a guy so I could buy a new Atari (stupid kid!). Got out of collecting in the 80's - hated the addition of Fleer, Donruss, UD, etc. Just recently regained an interest in cards again as I started to sell some of my other memorabilia (worked in Minor League Baseball from '97 - '04). Have been trying to be selective as my budget is small at this point.

Mantle was my favorite player growing up even though I was born the year he retired and never saw him play. Read every book I could about him as a kid. Was fortunate to have some personal experiences with Willie Mays, so those two are my focus, but I've found more "bargains" in other stars from the 60's so far. I wish I had stuff from Mickey, but am fortunate to have gotten some cool stuff from Willie. Attached are the 2 Mantle's I've picked up. The '66 is in nice shape, but off-center a bit with soft corners. I'm thinking 3-ish if graded? The '65 is rough. I actually got my money back from ebay on it as it was listed as EX-MT. It has 2 significant creases and 2 indentations, I couldn't see from the pic.

Looking forward to picking up a few along the way and see what others get. My favs and immediate goals are '56, '60 and a better '65.

Sorry for the length!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966 Topps Mickey Mantle003.jpg (79.2 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg 65Mantle.jpg (77.5 KB, 281 views)