View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Al mentioned these two. I don't collect Mantle but I'm pretty sure the "real deal" is a different size than the one being sold. The real Deal Mays is definitely a different size (2.125"). We discussed this Mays before...Al bought this exact pin just to make sure, determined it to be a repro and got his money back. My question is: is this the same seller or did it somehow change hands? If it is the same seller, he's not stating what he knows. That said, I've bought from this guy and he has always been fine.

I guess it comes down to homework, Rob. I can't say whether or not these secondary sellers know what they have. If that Mays was the right size and real, I'm hoping Al would let me win it since he already has the %$@*& thing!
Rob,
Nope the Mantle 60 in 61 is 1 3/4 inch in size (Real Deal) the one being sold is also 1 3/4 in size. Side by side the fakes are kinda washed out in look. The images are a little blurry.
As for the Mays yes wrong size being sold 1 3/4 (Fake) 2 1/4 in size (real) and yes this is the pin I bought back about a year ago but not the same seller. Has the exact same (Fake) age spots on the front with a few more now... Amazing.
As for union Bugs yes a true indication of a real pin from the era, but like was said NOT all the REAL pins have them on it. You really have to collect for many years to have the feel and know the look of pins.. Yes around 50/50 as to having the union logo on the back....
As for winning pins sometimes someone has to open up that snapper purse a little wider my friend in order for the GOOD items to come to a collection!!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..