View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
Just thought i would ask what you guys thought about this photo, what it might be worth and if the signature looks legit. To your collective Mantle expert eyes, tell me if the autograph is real.
Thanks!
Chris
Hiya Chris,

Earlier this year, I finally was able to get this same autographed photo of Mickey. I had been wanting one ever since I saw the story of these in the pages of Sports Collectors Digest back in the 80s. The one I purchased on eBay had already been PSA / DNAed early this century.

In case you aren't aware, photographer Ray Gallo was able to catch Mickey relaxed in the dugout at Fenway Park in September, 1956. The photo turned out perfect in every way. Mickey himself said it was HIS PERSONAL FAVORITE PHOTOGRAPH OF HIM. Around 1980, Mr. Gallo had a professional artist who worked with oils colorize the photo. She did the job of a master artist. Ray in turn had a decent number made into 8 X 10 prints, and then had Mickey autograph each one. You can tell your print is genuine from the personal Ray Gallo three-dimensional stamp pressed into the lower right-hand corner of the photo.

Isn't it just dazzling, bro? For me, it was my first Mickey Mantle autograph. I display it with my cherished cards and coins of Mick, as well as Roger Maris.

Congratulations, Chris. ---Brian Powell