View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 11:09 AM
Jason B

Default New(ish) member intro and question

Hi All,
My name is Jason and I have been reading the boards for a few months and wanted to introduce myself. I am 47 and collected as a kid but got out of it as I got older. Predictably I got back into it during the boom and got caught up in the $$$ and investing bit. I won a 1933 Goudey Foxx in a break and realized that card was much cooler to me than any of the modern stuff. So, I decided I'd much rather collect pre-war and vintage. My wife and I have saved up to attend our first National this year and are really excited. I have a couple of cool projects I want to begin working on in Cleveland (that are probably basic to you collecting vets), I would like to get a card of every Black Sox eight (minus JJ) and as a Red Sox fan I'd like to collect a card of their entire 1903 roster. In learning things through this site and reading and watching videos I've seen auction houses are also a good place to find things you're looking for. My big question is, in order to sign up to bid you need references, how would you suggest someone new to this part of the hobby gain those references? Also, any National advice when it comes to pre-war will be soaked in. Thanks in advance.

Jason