View Single Post
Old 06-18-2016, 06:22 PM

Default Thoughts on Grading Cards...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the subject.

I am in my mid 30's so my generation has, I think, a totally unique perspective on the hobby because while many generations of collectors EXPERIENCED the junk wax era, we're the only generation to have been INTRODUCED to the hobby by and RAISED ON the junk wax era. Because we never knew a more rational market before, I assume (but could be wrong) that we're far more skeptical of the hobby than the older generations or the newest generation of collectors.

My skepticism directly translates to my view on graded cards, and it's pretty much in line with yours. I got back into the hobby a few years ago and buy graded examples ONLY as proof that the card is real/unaltered. I could care less what the actual grade is, and actually would buy an altered/AUTHENTIC "grade" in the right circumstances and for the right price. I pretty much only care about centering, and I use my eyes, not the grade, to judge that.

With that said, I'm sure some collectors feel that even the authenticity of the card shouldn't be put up to the grading companies, and that we should trust our own expertise. Frankly though, as a casual collector, I don't have interest in becoming an expert on how to prove a card is authentic. It's worth it to me to pay a few bucks to have that evaluation done by someone who, while not perfect, certainly will know more than me. And like you, I've never submitted, only bought second hand, so not even sure I end up paying much more than raw usually.

When I do buy graded, I prefer BGS as many on here have stated they have the thickest and likely least tamperable cases. I've never even held another company's work in my hands, but if I were to buy from other than BGS it would be SGC just because there's so much not to trust with PSA (both the company itself and those who fake their products, IMHO).

With all that said, I certainly do wish the hobby didn't have a fraud issue and grading for authentication purposes wasn't even necessary. Or wish that I knew and trusted a fellow collector well enough to just take their world on their cards. But that's not the world I feel we live in.

Last edited by mattjc1983; 06-18-2016 at 06:31 PM.