View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 04:54 AM

Default Personal favorite snapshots out of this amazing find

Dan,
I was particularly intrigued by the original snapshots of no-hit pitchers George "Iron" Davis and Thomas L. Hughes (aka "Salida" Tom Hughes) in your collection.

After doing some quick research, I think that there is also a potential tell on when these photos were taken because of the presence of Salida Tom. Former NY Highlander Salida Tom didn't rejoin the 1914 Miracle Braves until the last two weeks of the 1914 regular season. Late in his baseball career he was previously toiling away in the minor leagues prior to a late season call up.
As a result, I would gather that these snapshots were either taken early in the 1914 (unlikely) or late in the season (extremely likely) given the nature of their historic 1914 campaign.

It's too bad that Salida Tom was not one of the players that signed his snapper. His autograph is truly scarce and is one that I have personally looking for to add to my vintage no-hit pitcher autograph collection. In fact, I have only seen one example of his signature on a 1914 Miracle Braves team ball. Certainly a very tough signature for someone who had a death date of 1961. After baseball I have been told that Salida Tom was somewhat of a con man or grafter, perhaps accounting for his signature being so difficult to find. An interesting early baseball figure, for sure...

Thanks for sharing this "Miracle" collection of snapshots!