View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Mike Fer.riola

Unhappy Counterfeit PSA Holder 1952 Topps Mantle

I purchased two PSA Graded 1952 Topps Mantle cards back in December. because I did not want to make a mistake I called the professionals at PSA for guidance. I called to see if the cards were reported stolen. This was a Craigslist deal and I wanted to be safe. The PSA Rep told me they don't keep such records. I asked what I should do. She said to make sure the Serial Numbers match up. They did. I made the purchase for cash. The cards turn out to be counterfeits inserted into PSA holders. After lots of research I find out that the scam has been going on for several years. I talk to average collectors and they have no knowledge of the scam. The insiders such as PSA dealers are the only people I have talked to that are aware. I spoke to the PSA President a few times and he implied that I was an idiot. He said I should have seen the frosting around the edges. Lots of PSA cards have frosting around the edges. PSA has had all the information about the scam for years. Why did they only tell me to check the serial numbers? Any warning I would have avoided the deal. I called PSA twice recently. Now they warn you of all the dangers and scams. Try calling! I'm looking for comments from collectors as to what they would do if they found themselves in this situation. Please email response to devintage@comcast.net Thanks for reading. M