View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Default 1954 Topps Complete Set

Well, after starting in earnest over 3 years ago, I have chipped my way to finally completing the 1954 Topps Set. I say earnest as a couple of the cards were actually from my youth, when putting this set together seemed like an impossibility. When I decided to get back in, I went up in my attic to see if I had anything left (my original collection was donated to a church who used the "parking lot sale" as a fund raiser back in 1991). Much to my surprise, I had a small box of vintage of mostly commons...except three 54 Topps cards. I remember keeping the Jackie Robinson, but I also found Johnny Lipon and Jim Robertson. I thought...cool...I LOVE this year, and getting the Hank Aaron RC is something I definitely want to do...so the quest was on.

I picked up cards here and there, but it wasn't a focus. At a local show I was able to get a few commons and Warren Spahn off an older fellow who bought the cards originally in their packs at a small store off Queen Anne in Seattle. Local cards with provinance...COOL. I ended up freeing 4 PSA's, 3 BVG's, and 2 SGC's...nothing under a 3. Most commons are EX, but I would say the set averages from VG - VG/EX - EX. I have a list of 7 cards to replace, where four of them are P/G.

Here are the three big dogs...I still love digging them out nightly and looking at them, haha. My wife thinks I have a problem...I probably do -

The rest are scans of the HOFers. As I was downloading I realized I skipped Phil Rizzuto...which meant I didn't have to add the Moose at the end to round out the pictures. Oh well...

As you can see, Eddie and the Duke are a little rough...but OK by me. I will be looking to upgrade those two. Interestingly enough I bought both of those cards in Vegas on a work trip visiting the card shop where the owner works as the memorabilia expert on Pawn Stars. Cool guys, cool shop, and they gave me a heck of a deal...

The Hoyt was a rather high graded card, I probably shouldn't have popped that one and got a different card for the set. Not that expensive and most likely a shame I took it out of the registry, but oh well, freed. Anyone care to guess the grade? Not the best scans on these...

Pretty tough crease on the Ted, but I just love this card. Rather pricey to upgrade, and may eventually will, but still great eye appeal. I think the Moose RC may be one of my favorites in the set.

Super excited to have it complete. 1954, that was a LONG time ago. Last card was eyebrows himself, Wally Moon RC that came in the mail today. Mr. Lasorda came yesterday, and was "freed" today, haha. My best deal was probably the Aaron RC...I got this card after literally 3 years of checking at least daily on Ebay and searching shops in many states and shows. It may not be NrMT, but with the price I paid I could easily quadruple my money...but I honestly wouldn't take 5x's what I paid for it now...IT'S MINE.

Thanks for looking...I'm pretty stoked! 57's are close behind...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 04-05-2013 at 10:10 PM.