View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Default Do these autographs appear to be real?

Posted By: MikePugeda

Dave,

I agree with some others that the ball looks pretty good. Some have stated concerns over the Robinson and McCovey sigs, but why forge those two if the Mantle and Williams are legit. It can't be a 500HR ball with Rose on there.

Brock,

I would probably hold off on that Clemente sig. When I started collecting Clemente, I purchased a few Clemente autos that looked very similar. Compare it to a signed photo and ball I have below. I talked with a couple of advanced Clemente collectors and was informed that Clemente may have used someone to sign items for him. There are a lot of pieces out there with the same style, but the more I look at his sigs, they are pretty darn consistent and the one you posted just doesn't seem right.

Something about the "to" with lower case and the ES in Best just doesn't seem right. I have three pieces with the same style writing. Could they be rushed signatures...maybe...but as time goes by I am more and more convinced that Clemente had a friend who signed items sent through the mail for him during late 60s early 70s.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Mike