View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 02:53 AM

Default original value et al

Shawn, I got your email with all the links, thank you very much for them and all your posts...will be going thru the links to try to piece it all together to understand this plaque...I see there's already a discrepancy....the March 18, 1888 NY Times clipping you posted states the cost of the plaque at $500.00...and the April 5, 1890 N.Y. Times clipping I posted on page 2 says it cost $2,000.00 ...interesting! One thing I'm very interested to see is a photo or illustration of the plaque from the period...Like you say there has to be one, at least. I'll bet one of the historical societies in Philly has one.....Also both the Manhattan Athletic Club and N.Y. Athletic Club won it, different years of course, and so there must be photos of it in N.Y. City somewhere.

Dan Bretta, Yes, from what I've read so far, it was a perpetual trophy given to athletic clubs that scored the most points in some kind of large events....the club that won the plaque was considered the National Champion of the United States...but the plaque was only given about four years, I think 1888-1891...as the AAU decided to stop giving the plaque and started awarding individual athletes instead of whole clubs...That's the readers digest version for now...I still have to sort it out more clear.