View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Votto, who played for Canada at the 2009 and 2013 World Baseball Classics and won the Lou Marsh Award as Canada’s athlete of the year in 2010 and 2017, distanced himself from his home country

Votto said he is “terribly ashamed” of his comments and called them “ridiculously selfish and short-sighted.”

I get the fact he is frustrated never having won a WS and his team currently in the toilet, but I guess he forgot his roots and where he learned and got good, pro good, before he was drafted.

He apologized, as he should have, so its water under the bridge now, for me anyways, but, imo, he won't live this one down.

“People aren’t going to love that I say this (but) I don’t care almost at all about Canadian baseball,” Votto said. “When I say that … I wasn’t raised inside of Canadian baseball really. I played on a local team but as an 18-year-old I was drafted."

He was left off the Olympic team, not picked for Team Canada and passed on by the Blue Jays while he was an amateur. 2009, 2010, 20013 and 2017 appearances / awards were given during his professional career when it wasn't too hard to believe in Joey Votto. Like I said, maybe he's resentful of being dismissed when his name didn't mean anything. I'm only pointing this out because some people can't believe a guy could have negative feelings about where he's from.

Last edited by packs; 05-17-2018 at 07:15 AM.