View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Hey all,

I'm on vacation for the week, but a friend pointed this thread out to me.

I won't have all of my resources available until I get back, but I can assure you that this Mantle image is NOT from '51. Fred was right in mentioning the patch detail. Also worthy of note is that the photo was taken at Ebbets Field. The only time the Yanks were there was for the exhibition right before the season started, and they certainly had the patches on their sleeves then.

My first gut reaction is that the shot is from the '52 World Series, taken during one of the games in Brooklyn. Though the Yanks also had patches on their sleeves that same year, it didn't extend to the postseason (or at least, the away jerseys).

When I get home, I'll dig up the photo evidence, and even try and match up the adverts on the wall to the same year. But in summation, definitely not '51!

Graig

PS: I am familiar with the photo that you guys posted, but I have never really studied it in depth. It's hard to tell from the scan on the board, but there's no evidence of a patch being airbrushed out, right?

Hi Guys,

So this is all I know about this photo. The original photo (without facsimile auto) was taken by Don Wingfield at Ebbets Field. The original image is exactly what was used for the 1951 Wheaties series (they added the pinstripes and enhanced the uniform folds editorially).

Now the date. Having over 150 Type I prints of the Mick as a rookie, I can tell you that the facial characteristics (including the much discussed acne) and what I can see of his body all shout 1951.

Support for 1952 comes from a Type I print with a 1952 date stamp (which if I remember correctly was from October supporting Graig's contention). It is also possible that this print was used for something else in 1952 and reflects that and not when it was taken.

I have a Type I of the original negative and there does not appear to be any evidence of editorial removal of a '51 nor '52 patch. Moreover, I have several Type I's of Mickey in spring training of 1952 and in all of them he is wearing a 1951 top where you can clearly see an outline of the '51 patch that has been removed on his left sleeve.

This photo was used for at least 3 premium photo issues that I am aware of (all with slightly different styles of facsimile autos) in addition to several PM-10 pins.

Finally, one definitive way to date the photo would be some hard evidence as to when the 1951 Wheaties series was created - Feb, March, April of '51 or after September 1952?

Hope this helps more than confuses.

Cheers,

Craig