View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Jerry
Jer.ry Fic.chi

May I ask what kind of glove you’re looking to have repaired and what type of work you’d like done?

Though it is acceptable practice in the glove hobby to clean gloves, some collectors do not like them to be altered in any other way. Relacing and relining is relatively common, but be careful on more expensive examples. There are some of us, and I am included in this camp, that will not purchase or trade for a glove that has been relined or relaced. I wouldn’t worry about an example of lesser value, but think twice about going ahead with the process on a higher value model. It may diminish its value substantially.

If the glove is extremely rare (desirable endorser or 19th century type), but is beat to hell and REALLY needs work, try your damnedest to use vintage materials when making the alterations.

I don’t want to take business away from any repair expert, but it’s best not to touch SOME gloves. Ultimately, the decision rests with the owner and his personal preferences. Just be aware of the potential ramifications when it comes to resale.