View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 04:56 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default Great Find!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Here, I found this last night:

It looks similar to the one the OP posted. If you compare them, you will also notice that the image posted by the OP looks like it was damaged by UV rays. This leads me to believe that it was probably a store window display.

Again, if I got some window display from 1951 that features the New York Yankees, and I were to cut out the Mickey Mantle, do you think I could call it a 'rookie?' You Americans would laugh in my face if I did that, right?

Now I do understand that it's different when it comes to soccer cards, because they were issued in other countries, and they come in all sizes and shapes, however, a lot of the old rules that were laid out by Beckett still apply. For example, for any card to be considered a 'rookie' it has to come from a set. It also has to be a base card as well. Pretty much all the vintage soccer cards that we discuss on this forum meet this criteria.
Great find!!! That is very cool that you found that image. It does indeed look like it could be some kind of display piece. Now that I look closer, it appears that this piece (picture #1 in OP) was maybe used to create item #5 in the OP. However, if it was intended to be cut out and pasted in, then it still might be a rookie, in the same way that a strip card made to be cut out by hand can be considered a rookie. I don't own either item #1 or #5 of the OP, so I can't be sure they are the same and if they were intended to be cut out or not.

That said, item #2 & #3 of the OP clearly have perforated edges (like a stamp) and came with a card stock with spots made for gluing them on. I feel like that would qualify as a rookie card, just as much as a Panini album can qualify as a rookie, because they had the same intent as a Panini album.

I don't think American rookie rules can apply to foreign soccer issues. For example if Mickey Mantle had a 1951 sticker released via an album, there would be a good argument it couldn't be a rookie card because it's a sticker and goes in an album, as opposed to card board, and stickers and albums would never qualify for a rookie according to Beckett for an American card. But I fully count a Panini sticker from a foreign issued album because this was the manner of distribution for that country and different countries have different 'cards' (or stickers).

So I am still thinking that these might be considered rookies