View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 AM
John

Default more chicles....

Nice high grade 50 Bowman! I really like that set.

I had a... expensive week - there was a seller on eBay that was originally selling a 35 Chicle set as a BIN. The set was nice - the highlight in my opinion was that the high numbered cards were mostly all midgrade whereas those seem to come up more often in low grades (I talked to a few other collectors though and the consensus was that the pricing for the set was high). Recently, they decided to break up the set. The pattern seemed to be that cards would show up as BINs and then switch to auctions later (with 99 cent starting bids - my favorite). I had my eye on the Hinkle and the Presnell. The Hinkle I needed, but the Presnell would’ve been an upgrade. The day I decided to buy the Presnell, it switched to auction and I wound up loosing the auction as it sold for a price higher than the BIN!

The good news is that I won the Hinkle (which means I'm down to 6 cards to finish the set - 3 high numbers and 3 low numbers). One thing I tend to do when I see a bunch of Chicles being auctioned off is throw out bids even on some I don’t need just in case they sell for below my valuation. And sure enough…. I wound up winning a Knute Rockne as well.

I feel they both sold low - obviously the Hinkle is poorly centered, but it’s not the only one I’ve seen that has the very narrow right border. I like the card’s color - I think it’s reasonably well preserved and the price was right.

Here are the images:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24_Hinkle_Front.jpg (76.9 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg 9_Rockne_Front_4.jpg (78.5 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 07-24-2015 at 09:29 AM.