View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 AM
N.ate A.dams

This won't come as a surprise to anyone, but there are some philanthropists on Net54. Some all around good guys who are donating to kids that they've never met, and in all likelihood will never meet.

Mi.ke Wr.enn & Mi.ke Whe.at: Teachers now know about your boxes, because they saw them in the mailing room, and were wondering what they were for. When I explained briefly the request I made on a forum, and the responses I received, jaws dropped --- because, as everyone knows, it's not cheap to ship large packages, yet they sent without a question. They were amazed that people were willing to donate and send cards to students they never met.

I already have a student eyeing the Andruw Jones signed SP Authentic card (Lou. S/kcrfan) for good behavior the rest of the year. I believe he has 11 or 12 brothers and sisters, and lack of attention is probably what has been the impetus for some serious behavioral issues. He says his dad is a Braves fan and that they are displaying the cards on his dresser. I asked his homeroom teacher how he's been and she darted her eyes at me saying "He has been exceptionally happy the last few days". MWrenn(brookdodger) sent an incredible amount of ridiculously appealing cards to the kids, and they basically Ooo and Aah while I'm showing/speaking about them these last couple weeks of school. For that particular student, he has already received a few Chrome Yankees cards and Braves cards (Jermaine Dye RC).

MWheat sent who knows how many cards, and some unopened packs. I just picked them up this morning, so the students haven't seen them yet, but the stunned looks on their faces will be priceless, and then they'll look up at me with eyes that communicate "What do I have to do to earn those."

Periodically yesterday, through each class, I'd ask "And how do you get a card from Mr. Adams?" Whoever said "You have to earn it" would get 2 cards from MWrenn's stash.

At the beginning of next year, I'm going to set up a really nice Card Station with some creative names using the last name of the generous donaters. You may all become Dr.'s by the beginning of next year! I'll post a picture when I do.

Again, thank you all, this is awesome...

1st pic: MWrenn's donation in mailing room, unopened.
2nd pic: MWheat's donation that was received this morning
3rd pic: MWrenn's donation that is being displayed on a table in my room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130528_143618.jpg (61.6 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg 20130531_083651.jpg (72.2 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg 20130531_090746.jpg (70.5 KB, 364 views)