View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I would say all, but Jordan is the exception to the rule so another may someday exist.

Long term investment in modern should be illegal to call "investment".

What's smart is buying what you like and expecting that it's for you and you will likely lose money. If you want to break even, buy vintage and you will likely lose the least if you hold on it to it long term. You may be able to lottery out holding new cards short term but long term, it's like buying a new chevy Malibu and holding on to it for 6 years. You can turn your 20k into 3500 bucks...if you are lucky.
JUSTIN DAVENPORT-- You've expressed very eloquently the trials and tribulations of modern collecting. However, you make one statement that should be put in all caps and bronzed---to be placed near the top (can't crowd the advertisers; hey, that's how Mr. Luckey makes some moolah doing this massive board!)

Anyway, I would like to quote your sentence in all caps if I may:

"WHAT'S SMART IS BUYING WHAT YOU LIKE AND EXPECTING THAT IT'S FOR YOU AND YOU WILL LIKELY LOSE MONEY." --- JUSTIN D.

If you don't love the game of baseball, and don't love the history of our national pastime, and if you don't love pictures of the men who play the summer game, why would anyone waste their life collecting baseball cards?

There is such a monetary profit mindset today. I'm fully aware this derives from unopened pack, box, case ripping, and then submitting "the gold" extracted therein, to PSA, in hopes of "cashing in", and then making a huge profit from your original purchase, whether you bought it in whole, or jointly with a group. "THE PULL" = THE WINNING LOTTERY TICKET. It's simply part of today's society mindset, and has been for a long time.

For most of my collecting life, I collected what I loved, and could afford, and sometimes what I really could not afford, because I love collecting, love baseball and its history--even though I stunk as a player myself, and I have always, and I mean always, loved pictures.

I collect a select niche of hockey cards as well, and 1/43rd scale model cars of Le Mans and historic racing sports cars, but in the end, the driving passion is because I tend to love what I like, and while it may be nice that the object appreciates in value, I have immensely enjoyed learning about the game or the sport, the history, the players and or cars, and the pursuit of the frequently difficult and challenging objects that have "gotta have it!" eye appeal, an enthralling story to them and behind them, and make for a dynamite display. People have told me they find the objects I like interesting because I make them seem interesting when I talk about them.

It's fun. The hunt and chase. Learning about the past and making that pleasant past come alive.

Keep charging, brother Justin! You're doing it right, bro!

Kind regards, Brian Powell

A tender PS for my Jim Davenport collector.

My father was a motion picture cameraman for NBC News. He was a good one. He was among those selected by NBC to film the Presidential campaign for their daily network television coverage, and all its doings, in 1964. Sadly, he was away from his wife and us kids a great deal during election years.

Anyway, I believe during the Democratic national convention in 1964, my mother flew down to be with him, for a few hours in a day. On the return flight, she happened to be on the plane with the San Francisco Giants baseball team. They were having a party on the plane--celebrating in some fashion. Anyway, they included my dear Mom in their wingding. She told me that they were very jolly, friendly, polite, and respectful to her. The two names my non-baseball fan mom remembered to her then 10-year-old baseball crazy son were Giants' scout Hank Sauer and the team's third baseman, Jim Davenport. For over 50 years, whenever I see one of my baseball cards of Hank or Jim, I remember Mom saying how nice those guys were to her. It means the world to me that they were. Just thought as a Jim Davenport fan, you just might appreciate a little memory from a baseball card-lovin' youngin from 1964.

Thanks for listening, Justin. Take care. ---Brian

Last edited by brian1961; 11-21-2015 at 01:41 PM.