View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Default Pre-War Autograph Opinion

Posted By: T206Collector

....readily approachable at shows around the country. Spence and staff will be in White Plains, NY. That's where I talk to them about autograph authentication.

I guess the only point I would like to be understood more often on here is that Babe Ruth is probably one of the most forged signatures in the world. The respected autograph authenticators know that and are generally very careful with Ruth and these kinds of signatures.

Before I pass judgment, I would like to see some real analysis, where someone sends in 5 real Ruths and 5 fake Ruths and see where they all come out and then publish those results. Because by and large when signatures are posted on here, even ones with great provenance, a large quantity of naysayers appear and lay claim to expert eyes.

In short, some collectors believe that Spence and other respected authenticators will authenticate a sneeze on a napkin as an authentic Babe Ruth signature, willy nilly. I believe more goes into it.

Now, whether these signatures on here are real? I don't really care. But before I went on a public message board to slam the authenticators, I'd talk to them about it. You really can do that. I know because I've talked to authenticators about signatures they've found authentic that I questioned. And it really is an interesting and educational experience.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for my blog, interviews, articles, card galleries and more!