View Single Post
Old 10-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default Confessions of a first time Yankee rooter

Posted By: TBob

I was at the college football game yesterday and missed the actual incident between Pedro and Zim, just seeing the clip when I got home and then watching the end of the game live. Zim DID charge Martinez and my dislike for Pedro the Punk colored what I thought had happened. Having watched the entire incident now, I see Zim was not entirely blameless. Martinez incited Zim but Zim shouldn't have gone off half-cocked. What you must remember is that Zimmer was once in a coma for almost 2 weeks and lost his speech for 6 weeks when he was beaned in a major league game. He has a metal plate in his head. The thought of someone bragging about being a head hunter set him off. I think we can all understand that, especially when you factor in his age and his affection for his players. Pedro is a punk but the Gerbil (as Bill lee used to call him) must carry some of the blame in this incident also for his over-reaction.
BTW, is it just me or does it seem that the American League playoff teams are much better than the National League teams? If you eliminate Prior and Wood, the NL teams seem colorless and very average. I will admit I am a lifelong Twins and AL fan, but still, watching the Cubs and Marlins play is like watching paint dry if Woods or Prior are not pitching.