View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 10:55 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Michael,
These are sure great examples of divergent styles of the way a person signs their name.
Re: your Babe Didrickson early exemplars. Have you ever considered that Babe Didrickson was ambidextrous? Your second exemplar appears to have a left handers slant as opposed to the other two which definitely appear to be signed by a right hander.
Just curious...
Scott,

That is possible. The only photo I have seen of her signing autographs she was using her right hand. Another consideration is the situation and venue. The first one was for the daughter of someone with connections, coach or the such, and was signed in the women's section of the Olympic Village. The third signature was at a dinner held for the U.S. Team. There was a menu included on which the person wrote that he got all of the women on the U.S. Team. She may have decided to write a little fancier as all of the other women were. I am not sure of the circumstance of the second signature, but guess it was not as formal a venue as the other two. She did write a bit more, but the writing is plainer. As for the slant, it is not always definitive. I am a lefty and since I write 'crook handed' it could pass for a righty. Interestingly, the middle one was sold to a German Olympic collector when I was in Slovakia in September. I had quite a few signatures of early Olympians including multiples of Georgia Coleman, gold medal diver who died in 1940, and he said the Didrikson was the best one since it was her maiden name and signed at the Olympics and those are harder to find. They also like it when people sign with the name they used when competing.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”