View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 07:16 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Well obviously multi-factorial, including some aspect of fraud and manipulation. But I do think that people like Brett from PWCC and Goldin and others have done a great job pimping baseball cards as a great investment the past decade. I've seen people on Power Lunch on CNBC taking baseball cards and memorabilia. And no doubt for some people and some cards it has been an amazing run. When I'm investigating purchasing a high end Ruth or Gehrig card and figure I might spend $12,000 for it, I do some research and find the same card sold at REA in Spring 2017 for $950 and scream "holy sh*t." Some people, and not those hoarding Jose Canseco rookie cards, have made a lot of money on vintage sports cards. And if you are a man between the ages of 40-80 with disposable income, it's not outrageous in my view to think of rare sports cards to be (small) part of a diversified portfolio of investments. And like stocks I think people try to hunt out the next big thing to run.

I know "diversified portfolio of investments" in the same paragraph as vintage cards will chap some people's behind but so be it.
Totally agree regarding some/many ruth/cobb postcards...in recent years some/many of these have gone up 10-20 times in value in 1-2 years.