View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post

Rhett - was this series of Giants/Yankees issued at around the same time as the Koester's Bread cards? And why were only certain cards added to the E121-80 set and not others (ala Ross Youngs, etc.)? Popularity? Performance in the '21 season?

It sounds like the series of 80 turned out to be the series of 135+ (excluding back variations). Is it obvious what the original intended 80 cards were and then figure out what the late corrections/ additions were? I assume you've done that somewhere along the line.
Yes, the late series E121 series of 80 cards were printed at roughly the same time as the Koester's Bread cards but not as many subjects were included for whatever reason (no Ross Youngs or Jesse Burkett in the E121 set... at least not yet). Also note that the Gassler's Bread set was made at the same time and at least at this point they share a checklist with the E121 Series of 80 set, so in theory those listed in my first post will be in the Gassler's set as well (The Gassler's set should probably be added to the HOF Rookie Card list as well-- no other ad back has been found with those subjects.)

If another Series of 80 new subject is to be found at this point (which is entirely possible) one of the most likely subjects would be Ross Young (with position as R.F.) so there is still achance that that may one day come to light.

The Series of 80 was a sort of "living set" not unlike the T206 set. They were not seemingly bound by the number of subjects listed on back and would simply update and change players, teams, etc. as they went along. It is entirely possible that at least one or more of the print runs individually may have actually consisted of 80 different subjects.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562