View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 11:21 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
A few months ago we debated the meaning of certain marks found on 1970s pennants: namely "VET" and "M." Nobody really had a clear answer. My opinion then, as now, is that these were likely concessionaire's marks rather than maker's marks.

The below Dodgers pennant was made in the late 1960s, early 1970s. It exists in three different variants. The first shows the ASCO maker's mark. My presumption is ASCO made all variants of this pennant. Three other variations exist: blank; "VET"; and "M."

I just bought the "M" variant. The owner shared with me, in passing, that he/she purchased it in the 1970s at Riverfront Stadium.

I recall baseball Rob owning a similar Giants pennant bearing the same "M" thereon. He's also from Ohio. Might this "M" have been an Ohio retailer?

Unfortunately for my theory, it appears that Riverfront Stadium's concessionaire was Sportservice when it opened in 1970. And, to my knowledge, Sportservice never utilized a concessionaire's mark resembling an "M".

So whatever this "M" means, it may have something to do with Ohio. And that "VET" one may, in fact, have something to do with Veteran's Stadium/Philadelphia after all.
Great post! I can only tell you, my first pennants given to me as a very young kid in the mid-late 70s ... were all bought at Veterans Stadium souvenir stands, and they are all marked “VET”. I still own 3-4 of them.