View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 01:23 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
Nice. Very impressive. I worked several years with former Ranger goalie Doug Soetaert
A good friend of mine married a cousin of Doug Soetaert, and was at their wedding. He was playing for the Canadiens at the time, and we were all playing industrial hockey (including the groom). I played goal for the team, and ended up striking a conversation with Doug. Now imagine, to me, this guy is living the dream.

So I ask him "When you're done playing in the NHL, are you gonna play afterwards?"
He looks at me and said "When I'm done in the NHL, I'm throwing my equipment over a cliff." He then goes on to tell me how tired he is of all aspects of hockey and the NHL.

I've often thought about that exchange that was over 25 years ago. I imagine he never did put his pads on again once he was done. And now me, I'm pushing 60 and still playing semi-competitive against 30-40 year olds. I love going out for 50 or more every winter with the guys, breaking a good sweat, and having a beer afterwards. I cannot imagine not having that out from life.