View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 10:50 AM

Yes, the stories you have heard are true. When you have many expensive items for display in one location for a number of days, there are certainly those that come in to the show just to try to steal them.

I have done every National but 4 of them, and have had my share of items stolen. Any one who tells you differently is either lying or blind. I consider it the cost of doing business.

But I have evolved and have learned from my mistakes. Rather than list the biggest items every taken, I would prefer to offer National dealers some advice on how to protect against such thefts, like losing a 52 Mantle or more expensive items.

1 -- My first layer of display is now all my showcases. Even if the show is slow, LOCK them anyway, and put your most expensive "cards" in those locked showcases.

2 -- The second layer behind the showcases should be less expensive items that they can reach to look at.

3 -- The third layer which they can't reach would be more expensive items. When they try to reach them, you jump in and help them.

4 -- NEVER let anyone come into your booth areas. They can keep you occupied while their accomplices go to work.

5 -- Consider adding a 360 degree small inexpensive security camera that you can record and play back immediately on your IPhone, IPAD or Droid. Consider keeping the system active 24 hours to protect your booth.

6 -- Maybe others can add other ways to protect against having horror stories?

Here is a horror story that almost happened to me:

Back in the day, before body bags, I used to travel to the National with just four small suitcases to display. It was in Anaheim, and when I checked into the hotel, I was checked into one of the exterior freestanding units. My antennas went off immediately and I returned to the reservations desk, and quickly switched to a hotel room, which I felt offered better security. A day or two later, I drove by that area and found police cars all over and the entire unit was smashed in and covered by large bamboo and trees. I never found out what had happened but we were at Disney when it transpired. Just imagine if I had left my suitcases in there when I went to Disney with my family, as it still was not set up day.

It really disappoints me and makes me think about stopping setting up at shows when something gets stolen, but I keep coming back for more.

Why? The vast majority of collectors and attendees would never even consider taking anything without paying for it. Still it can't hurt to be overly cautious.

Steve