View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Many advanced collectors hate these, including me.

Most collectors who collect new stuff advance into vintage later on, and rarely does a collector of vintage go the other way and collect new stuff again. New stuff is dominated by younger collectors. I read all those boards to learn and dont ever have the urge to buy a new cards.

I dont like mixing vintage cuts with modern bright gaudy cardboard. and they ruined so many nice letters and personal checks full of baseball history cutting them to fit into a new card.

I really hate the vintage game used garbage too... ruining many museum quality bats and uniforms to make a $.

On a related note... Pseudo rare 1/1 which are intentionally made rare wont hold value. They are a limited edition like a beanie baby, collector plate, or Franklin Mint item. Not a true rare item which became rare over time.

A truly rare item has to become rare unintentionally, usually by low production numbers, with most being used and abused and then trashed. ie cards, stamps, comic books, steiff bears, vintage Halloween stuff, beer cans, movie posters, vintage Pez, even hotwheels or tootsietoys.

Everything now days is a limited edition and hoarded in unopened unused condition, no way they hold value IMO

PS Bit OT but I have tootsietoys too