View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 05:07 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I've noticed, and seen it spoke of before, and that is the green tinge on House's neck on the yellow tiger card.

Some seem to have it and some don't. Is there any difference/reason for it?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1952-TOPPS-1...oAAOSwJtdaKfF1
Yes, good catch Irv! One is a printing error or variation, unsure if it was done on purpose. While the other, is a variation where the red was omitted on purpose. House was printed more than once on different parts of the sheet. This is why the gray back exists with either all red, or no red.... but there none of the inbetweeners. That's another discussion!

The old adage, there are no such thing as coincidences may apply here. What would be the odds that one house didn't have the red to begin with, and the other just happened to have something obscure the red exactly on the logo?

In my humble opinion, I dont believe the red ink on the green throat card was obscured or "ran out". I believe the red mask was stoned off over a brief period to match the yellow tiger. Maybe it was easier than trying to add red? When they went too far and noticed the missing red on his throat, they reset the whole mask and both were continued to printed with the red in the logo. I think there are too few of them for it to have happened all the way through production, so I believe it happened early on and was subsequently corrected.

Back to the gray backs. If a few leftover gray sheets from the 2nd series where run at the beginning of series 3, some would have the yellow tiger, some would have the red tiger, but there wouldn't be any inbetween as the red mask over the tiger wouldn't have been changed to match.

Pardon the early morning rambling

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors