View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Default High grade cards are undervalued

Posted By: cmoking

In my opinion, GAI cards are typically a half grade lower when compared to PSA, i.e. a GAI 7.5 = a PSA 7...a GAI 6 = a theoretical PSA 5.5. That's my opinion only based on the cards I have seen. Sometimes they are just as sharp, sometimes they are a grade lower. I have learned not to buy a high-priced GAI card at PSA equivalent grade prices unless I examine it in person. So in the comparison of the PSA 7 and the GAI 6 cards above, the marketplace looks at it as a PSA 7 card vs a theoretical PSA 5.5 card.

Please note: this does not mean that PSA is right and that GAI is wrong. It could just be that PSA is a tight-ass in giving 7s and 8s - specifically in Goudeys, where my experience is. It could be that PSA is protecting the existing population of 7s and 8s for those of you that are conspiracy theorists. It also doesn't mean that PSA doesn't screw up often, I've seen some ugly 8s and 7s, and some incredible 6s. I want to note this before I get attacked by the anti-PSA crowd, and now I note that my note is longer than my original statement.

I have been told by Leon previously that if I want to make a controversial statement that I have to include my real name. Leon, feel free to delete my post if it is too controversial in your view.

edited by leon....hey cmoking...I know you and you are not bashing someone so this is cool...it's just when someone says something about someone else I get defensive on anonymity