View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 09:50 PM

It’s a unbelievable with the recent phenomenon of modern sportscards especially basketball where seem hitting new highs and now vintage basketball. Basketball has a global following and the sportscards market are still exploding.
I started modern in the late 80s and 90s basically from wax whatever you can buy on your local card shop and shows. Back then, vintage was untouchable for me because of price relative to modern such as Mantle, Aaron, Musial, Cobb.
I sold off basically all my modern cards around 1999-2000 because I was unable to keep track of all the new issues and turned off by the serial number cardsI then began buying post war then pre war cards subsequently took a hiatus from 2000-2007 due to newborn. I got back buying prewar 2007-2009 and set off another hiatus due to career until 2016. I was blown away by the modern pricing especially the Exquisites and National Treasures issues coupled with the Gem Mint chase. I never understood the “self-made” scarcity of serial number and Gem mint because pretty much all new cards are straight to protectors then off to grading companies so began to understand anything under a Mint label is almost worthless. But the scarcity in serial number chase /50, /25, /10 support the chase.

If history repeats itself, vintage really ensures times of bike flipping, garage sales, house moving; you get my point should stand tall once again. In a way, vintage basketball is now off to the races especially some records may or will be broken such as all-time points by LeBron James. (A disclaimer I am not a LeBron fan nor own any of his cards simply because not a fan of Super Team).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk