View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
It's happened; I've done it myself one time with several PSA 9s and 10s (1970s cards) I felt were trimmed/short. They concurred the cards were bad, a settlement was reached, and the cards were taken out of circulation. I guess mistakes get made but they can be corrected, at least to some extent.
The key thing is that when you get caught you take care of the problem quickly so that your customers keep coming back for more...or less.

Steve mentioned in another thread that it's real easy to spot trimmed cards (I assume, that's only true if the card is not in a holder). He got into the detail about how the cutting blade used 100 years ago affects the front and the back of the card. Most of us already had a sense of this, but if not - his explanation certainly explained it well. Apparently it's nothing at all like the results you get from modern blades that weren't designed like paper cutters.

So I wouldn't call it a 'mistake', although committing fraud is certainly a mistake of sorts. But if it really is simply grader ineptitude, I have to wonder why you would put a grader who isn't aware of these differences, on a $1,000+ card.

I know - everybody likes more cash.