View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Casey

Default Met Babe Ruth 1948

So, here's a cool story that happened last week. My daughter works in a small town restraunt/bar 50 miles west of Chicago. Every day a gruff old man, - 85 yrs old (everybody calls him Ron), comes in for a beer. He's a quiet guy, gravel kind of voice she told me. She talks with him all the time and one day mentions her dads love for baseball. He said he met a famous baseball player when he was a kid....a guy named Babe Ruth. He didn't think anything special about it, but said he had a picture of him with the ballplayer. My daughter talked him into bringing the picture to the bar and took a snapshot on her phone - attached. Ron is the kid on the left with his fist in the air and hair down in his face!!! He remembered it was 1948 because the Babe died 2 months later. He was a kid working the turnstiles at old Comisky park then. I looked it all up and the dates all fit perfectly.
I asked my daughter if it was ok with Ron to share his photo. He doesn't even know what the internet is and never used a computer. But he said it was ok to show it to people.
I am amazed to catch such a cool story in an old bar in the country outside Chicago!! And the funny thing is Ron didn't think of the photo as a big deal...had to dig it up at home.
Well, you never know that the old geezer you serve at your bar once met the Babe.
Enjoy the picture everyone!!!! Casey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190621-150627.jpg (73.2 KB, 402 views)

Last edited by Case12; 06-21-2019 at 02:57 PM.