View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Default Please help with ID of Brooklyn ballplayer

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

OK, Dan's logic disproves my theory (I forgot to take rh/lh into account!). It's not Camilli--his features were much sharper--this man has a "doughy" face! Also, Camilli's eyes were much more sunken in. Due to the round features, this also eliminates Hermanski and Moryn. These men both had narrower faces. I agree with whoever said c. 1940-45. Could that be stretched back to, say, 1938 or so? I'm feeling 1938-42. Which side was the 1939 Centennial patch worn on? Wasn't it the left?

Try consulting the book "Baseball Memories 1930-39". There are three books: "1900-09", "1930-39" and "1950-59". They are invaluable for such matters, and might very well be my favorite reference books! There are photos for nearly every player who appeared in MLB garb during each respective decade, as well as depictions of uniform styles/changes for each club. The 1900-09 would be very interesting for all of you T-card collectors. You are treated to actual images of the players as opposed to the often amateurish portraits featured on the cards (especially the full-body depictions).