Thread: April pickups
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 09:24 PM
Joe

Adding to my small Baseball in London collection, this makes piece number five.

June 10, 1945, program for a US Army services baseball game held at Stamford Bridge soccer stadium in London, England. The two teams – the Whites and the Grays – were made up of minor league and major league players stationed in England. Mostly minor league players, but I have been able to note Paul Campbell, Ted Kleinhans and Dan Carnevale.

The most notable name on the program may be that of Umpire Scotty Robb. Scotty Robb had a pretty distinguished career as an Umpire in both the NL and AL.

Here is the interesting part...two days ago I was contacted by the grandson of Scotty Rob who is interested in selling his grandfather's personal items from him umpiring days. Some nice stuff. I am helping him prepare for sale. Today we spoke for the first time, and then an hour later in the mail I get this Army program. I didn't realize he was the umpire when I bought it. I don't think I even would have noticed he was the umpire in the game if his grandson had not just contacted me.

I think the person I bought this from found a stack of them, because after the ebay auction ended he listed another.

IMG_3229.jpg

img_3227b (1).jpg

Last edited by vintagesportscollector; 04-27-2017 at 09:39 PM.